Forget Chinese take-out, achieve restaurant quality Sweet and Sour Chicken in the comfort of your home today. Just imagine the stewing chunks of pineapple giving this sauce a sweet aroma as the well coated lightly breaded chicken sits invitingly on a moist bed of bed rice. Gently tart the moist chicken morsels are encapsulated in crisp fried breading as the sweet red pepper burst with soft tender juice. Complimented by delicious onions and pineapple chunks that barley require chewing, this dish contains multiple layers of flavors as it exhibits countless combinations textures. Each bite has the potential to vary slightly in taste from the previous one. Every bite will be juicy, tender and flavorful due to the balancing of contrasting flavors brought harmoniously to the table as another meal executed to joyous perfection. All you have to do is watch this video, follow my concise instructions and use ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen to enjoy this lovely meal today. All eating experience should be foodlicious.
Better than take out.
Red Bell Pepper
Chicken mixed in cornstarch, salt and pepper.
Fry the chicken at 350°F (176°C).
Bell pepper, onion and pineapple.
Add sauce ingredients.
Simmer the sauce until thickens.
Add fried chicken to the skillet/pan.
Mix until well coated and fully thickened.
Sweet & Sour Chicken
- 2 chicken breast
- ½ red bell pepper cut into chunks
- ½ onion cut into chucks
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 3 tbsp pineapple juice
- 4 tbsp ketchup adjust to your liking
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp water
- 1 cup chicken broth low-sodium
- Cut the chicken breasts into squares (about ½" by ½" thick).
- In a medium size bowl, place the chicken chunks, cornstarch, salt and black pepper; mix until well coated.
- In a skillet/pan; heat the oil to medium-high; 350°F (176°C). Wait for at least 3-5 minutes before placng the chicken in the skillet/pan.
- Place the coated chicken into the oil and cook for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. Don't overcrowd the chicken; space them out. Cook in 3 separate batches.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet/pan and place on a baking rack or a plate with paper towel (to drain the oil).
Sauce and Vegetables
- Heat the wok/skillet to meduim-high; 350°F (176°C) and add 2 tbsp oil. Wait for the oil to heat up.
- Add onion chucks, red bell pepper and pineapple; cook for 1 minute.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water; set aside.
- Add the chicken broth along with most of the sauce ingredients including cornstarch mixture; stir and cook for a few minutes (until thickens).
- Now add the fried chicken to the sauce mixture; mix until well coated. Let simmer an addtional 1 -2 minutes until sauce fully thickens.