Homemade Skillet Cornbread is a tip of the hat to the old fashioned recipes that stand the test of time. Good cornbread is great covered in butter and honey but may also be enjoyed plain or in a bowl of milk. This bread keeps well for days and is very filling. I have tried multiple methods of preparation and this one is my favorite. My family loves this fresh from the oven and covered in a local honey.
My husband says his grandmother would be proud of my recipe and that it brings back memories of his childhood where corn bread would be sitting on the table for the walk by and grab as you go slice. If you like good old-fashioned cornbread and have been looking for a good home cooked recipe, then this is for you. Watch the video to see a couple of key steps to seal in the flavor and follow the instructions to have this warm skillet prepared bread on your table today.
Top with butter and honey.
In a bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs and 8 tbsp melted butter; whisk until smooth.
Add the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar; mix well.
Pour the batter in the skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
Delicious homemade cornbread.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk room temperature
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (218°C).
- In a bowl: combine buttermilk, eggs, 8 tbsp melted butter, and whisk until smooth. Then add the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and mix well.
- Heat the skillet (10") to high on the stovetop. Add 2 tbsp butter and wait for it to be completely melted. Pour the batter in the skillet. Let it cook for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Remove skillet from the oven and wait for 15 minutes before serving.