This copycat Beijing Beef from Panda Express can be made in the comfort of your own home. Traditionally the meat is deep fried, so I cut back on the oil and used just enough to cook the meat. Lightly fried covered in delicious sauce served with slightly crunchy bell pepper and onions this dish will fill the belly and not break the bank. The sauce is so good that you can eat it with a plain bite of rice. My husband and kids kept going back for seconds until it was all gone. But if you have leftovers, this reheats with ease and still tastes great.
Check out the video and the instructions below to be on your way to another simply foodlicious meal.
Serve with a warm bowl rice.
Meat, bell pepper, garlic and onion.
Marinate the meat in baking soda, soy sauce and shaoxing cooking wine for 15 minutes.
Fry the meat.
Cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until brown and crispy.
Add garlic, onion and bell pepper. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove the vegetables place them on a plate.
Sauce and meat.
Mix all together.
Saucy Beijing Beef.
Serve with rice.
Please follow Facebook , Instagram, Twitter or subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Share on social media.
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ onion chopped
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb beef steak sirlion or flank
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅓ cup canola, vegetable or peanut oil
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- Cut the fat off and slice the beef. Place the meat into a bowl.
- Add baking soda, soy sauce and shaoxing wine (1 tsp each); mix until well coated. Cover and marinate for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl: combine all the sauce together and whisk. Set aside.
- Add ¼ cornstarch to the marinated meat and mix/turn until well coated.
- In a skillet/pan (8"), add oil and heat up to medium-high. Wait for at least 3 minutes.
- Place each slice of beef in the skillet/pan (don't overcrowd the meat). If using a small pan you may need to cook/fry in two batches. (Watch the video for reference)
- Cook each side for 2-3 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- Remove cooked meat and transfer to a plate with paper towel; turn off the heat. Remove the oil and discard it (or you can save the oil if you prefer). Make sure to leave at least 1 tsp in the skillet/pan.
- Heat the same skillet/pan up to medium-high.
- Add garlic, onion and bell pepper. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove the vegetables place them on a plate.
- Add the sauce to the skillet/pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until it thickens alittle.
- Return the cooked meat to the skillet/pan. Stir for several minutes or until most of the sauce has thickened.
- Return the cooked vegetables and stir. Turn off the heat.
Best served immediately and with your favorite rice.
More Beef Recipes