Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork) serves caramelized by a delicious honey and hoisin sauce marinade that crisps to form an outer red layer over the slightly smokey pork that is saturated with explosions of juicy taste. The Char smell of this dish while cooking is highly fragrant and hunger rousing as the meat develops that ravishing finish. This goes great with rice, noodles, steam buns or your favorite vegetables. Make sure to watch the video for a very easy to follow recipe.
When it comes to pork, I try to pick a lean cut like the loin because it is a bit healthier but feel free to try this with your favorite cut. I highly recommend giving this foodlicious dish a try, you won’t regret it.
Make sure to use red food color; it will yield that pretty finish exactly like you see at the Chinese restaurants. This is optional but recommended for presentation purposes.
Marinate for 24 hours, the longer you marinate the better. But if for some reason your are pressed for time, at least try to get around 12 hours to overnight for minimal acceptable results.
In the oven for the first 30 minutes. 🔝
Remove from the oven, baste then return to oven for another 30 minutes. 🔝
Baste a second time and then back in the oven, cook on low-broil for 6 minutes per-side. 🔝
Finished Char Siu.
Char Siu (Chinese BBQ Pork)
- 3 lbs pork loin or shoulder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tbsp shaoxing wine or dry sherry
- 4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 5-8 drops red food coloring optional
- Slice the pork loin or shoulder into three vertical sections. Place them in a big bowl/container. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Pour the sauce mix over the pork. Make sure it is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 176°C.
- Remove the meat from the bowl/container and reserve the sauce mix. Place the meat on a roasting rack and cooking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes. See video for reference.
- Using a small sauce pan, pour in the sauce mix. Cook on medium. Add 2 tbsp honey and whisk. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until thickens. Set aside.
- First baste: Remove the pork from the oven and baste with the sauce. Bake another 30 minutes.
- Second baste: Remove the pork from the oven and baste with the sauce.
Cook on Low-Broil
- Put the pork back in the oven and cook on low-broil for 6 mintues per side.