These sweet little Heirloom Tomatoes make a great base for a refreshing Salad when mixed with onions and basil. This is one of my top picks when eating a salad. If you like Bruschetta you will absolutely love eating this Heirloom Tomato Salad. These tomatoes are sweeter and less acidic when compared to the larger more common tomato. Watch the video and you will be on your way to making this easy to prepare and guilt free delicious salad.
The best time to eat a fully ripe cool tomato is in the hot days of summer. This is an easy to prepare salad that may be served with an entrée or as the main dish if trying to cut back on less healthy choices. This is refreshing, tangy, crunchy, juicy and more filling than expected. This also doesn’t create a mess in the kitchen when prepping so it is a win all the way around. If feeling adventurous you can also put this on a sandwich to substitute lettuce and tomatoes.
Heirloom Tomato Salad
- 2 cups cherry heirloom tomatoes sliced
- 1 cup fresh basil chopped
- ¼ red onion thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a jar or bowl, put all the dressing ingredients together and mix well. Set aside.
- Add the tomatoes, basil and red onion to a large serving bowl.
- Pour the dressing mixture over the salad and mix until well coated.
- Let the salad stand for 5 minutes to allow for marination prior to serving.