Rich and savory Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup is a melody of ingredients that can be served as a side or main entree. Perfect for lunch or dinner and on any occasion. This recipe and method of preparation will bring a coveted dish to your table. To describe the slight crunch of the mushrooms and bamboo that harmoniously add texture to the appetite quenching broth would not do justice to how satisfying this dish really is. Follow these instructions and stick to the recipe for tender large shrimp that will burst with sweetness as the egg particles create a creamy consistency that will solidify this soup as a balanced pleasing meal on your menu of home cooked dishes.
When it comes to hot and sour soup, I prefer my soup to be “fully” loaded with meat (shrimp, chicken or pork), tofu, mushrooms, bamboo, dried wood ear mushrooms and eggs. You can add other vegetables to the soup but recognize cook times and flavors may vary. As with most dishes the garnish sets the visual tone and creates a fresh appeal. Simply top this dish with fresh chopped green onions and white pepper prior to serving. The crisp onions and spice of the pepper will stew to a perfume of delightful invitation as the symphony of herbal tones and chicken broth cascade from the serving dish.
This recipe is one of my personal favorites! Hot and sour soup reminds me of going out for dinner with my family and celebrating special occasions during my youth. I have worked for several years to try and recreate my best experiences of this dish in my own home. I believe this recipe is of a quality worthy of sharing and highly recommend you give it a try. Congregate with your friends and family over a nice hot bowl of soup for your next foodlicious experience. Remember to return to a boil prior to adding additional ingredients and serve this soup fresh off the stove. Watch the video and check out the instructions prior to preparation and you will achieve a classic fully loaded home cooked Hot and Sour soup full of tender mushrooms and juicy shrimp.
Bamboo, fresh shiitake mushrooms and dried wood ear mushrooms.
Extra large shrimp, homemade chicken broth (or carton of your favorite is fine), eggs and tofu.
Cut the tofu.
Bring to a high simmer and add the vegetables.
Delicious hot and sour soup!
Hot & Sour Shrimp Soup
- 8 cups chicken broth low-sodium
- 8 oz extra large shrimp ½ lb
- 7 oz tofu sliced
- 5 oz bamboo sliced
- 5 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms you can substitute with any mushroom
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup dried shredded wood ear mushroom
- ⅓ cup white vinegar +/- adjust to your liking
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- Cut tofu into small rectangular shapes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl: place the dried shredded wood ear mushroom and hot water. Soak for 10 minutes. Then rinse to clean the mushrooms at least twice.
- In a medium size pot: pour in the chicken broth and turn heat to medium-high..
- Add both soy sauce, vinegar, white pepper and sesame oil; bring to a boil.
- Add bamboo, wood ears and shiitake mushrooms; stir and return to a boil.
- In a small bowl: mix cornstarch and water. Then add the cornstarch mixture to the boiling pot and stir.
- Add tofu and shrimp; stir a few times; reduce heat to low-medium.
- Slowly pour the lightly beaten eggs into the soup as you gently swirl using chopsticks/fork. Recomend watch video once for reference.
- Remove the pot from the stove and place soup in bowl(s).