Roast Beef Po’ Boy with homemade beef gravy. Lips will be smacking as lightly toasted bread crunches from the hungry eaters that have been pacing around the kitchen in anticipation because the gravy fills the room and your mouth with anticipation. The beef creates a steaming scent of roasted deliciousness as you approach the first bite. If feeling bold, just add some mayonnaise with horseradish to create a filling juicy sandwich that will require a few napkins. I highly recommend using garden fresh tomatoes from local farmers market if you can still find them. They will add juicy bursts to the gravy soaked bread and complete the foodlicious experience.
When you are craving for a homemade Po Boy sandwich and don’t want to be in the kitchen all day, Instant Pot will save you time and money. Preparation and cook time is all under 2 hours.
Chunk roast and beef bone-in shanks.
Brown the beef.
Onions, garlic cloves and butter.
Pressure cook on high for 40 minutes and natural release.
Remove meat from the instant pot.
Strain the onions and everything else.
Add cornstarch, water and salt for the gravy.
Mix shredded meat and gravy.
Sloppy, tender, savory, melt in your mouth Roast Beef Po’ Boy.
Share on social media.
Instant Pot Roast Beef Po Boy
- Instant Pot
- 2 lb beef chuck roast
- 1 lb beef bone-in shank
- 4 cups beef broth low-sodium
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- 2 onions cut into chunks
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 tbsp water
- 2 tsp salt more or less to taste
Prepare the meat
- Pat the beef dry with a papper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Press the sauté green button; add 2 tbsp butter and olive oil. Sear the roast chunk for 5 minutes per-side or until golden brown. Remove the roast and repeat with the beef shank. Set all the beef aside.
- Add onions, garlic and 1 tbsp butter to the Instant Pot and saute until the onions are translucent. Press button again to turn off saute.
- Place the roast, shank, beef broth, cajun seasoning and bay leaves in the IP. Pressure cook on high for 40 minutes and natural release. Press the cancel button. Remove the cooked meat and discard bones. Shred meat and set aside. Strain the broth from the IP.
- Return the broth to the IP. Press the saute button. In a small bowl, add cornstarch and water; whisk. Pour the mixture into the IP. Add salt and stir. Simmer the gravy until it thickens. Pour half of the thick gravy on the shredded meat; toss and mix. Save the rest of the gravy for dipping the sandwich.
- Warm up the hoagie sub in the oven. Place the shredded meat, lettuce, tomato and pickles on the sub (see pics or video for reference).
Serve immediately. Dip the sandwich in the gravy and enjoy!
More Instant Pot Recipes