Chinese Hot Dog Flower Buns. Very similar to American Pigs in a Blanket; except these are covered in fresh Chinese chives, sesame seeds and a simple syrup glaze. Baked to perfection the bread is sweet and pulls freely from the cluster to make this a kid favorite finger food. We enjoy these fresh out of the oven before they have time to cool.
Please follow Facebook, Instagram, Twitter , Pinterest, or subscribe to my YouTube channel.
Be sure to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube or subscribe to the blog for emails and receive free EatFoodlicious recipes daily.
Share on social media
Chinese Hot Dog Flower Buns
- 8 hot dogs
- Chinese chives optional
- sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp bread flour
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp butter melted
Simple Syrup Glaze
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbsp milk
Make the Tangzhong
- Cook on medium until it becomes thick. Then set it aside until ready for use.
Making the Dough
- Prepare the dough in a mixer: Mix yeast,lukewarm milk and sugar in a bowl; then let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add bread flour, salt, egg, and butter to the mixer. Mix and knead for about 1-2 minutes. Then add the tangzhong (from step 1) to the dough in the mixer. Knead for 5 minutes on low (speed 2).
- Shape the flour into a ball and place it into a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a towel for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.*
- Punch the dough and divide it into 8 equal parts. Shape each dough part into a rectangle shape 3”x 6”. Place 1 hot dog in the center of the dough. Fold the dough and closed the seam together. Roll it back and forth until the seam disappears.
- Cut the hot dog dough into 6 equal pieces. Arrange the pieces into a flower. Place the flower on a parchment paper. Put 1 piece in the center and 5 pieces around the center as petals, space them out a little. Repeat with the other hot dogs. Cover the flower hot dogs with a kitchen towel.
- Let them sit for another hour or until they double in size. *
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees.
- Prepare the flower hot dogs for the oven: Brush the egg wash over them. Then sprinklethe sesame seeds and chives on top.
- Place flower hot dogs in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Pour the Simple Syrup Glaze over the fresh flower hot dogs when they are out of the oven.
Making the Simple Syrup Glaze
- Cook sugar and water on the cook top on medium until it thickens.
More Asian Recipes
One thought on “Chinese Hot Dog Flower Buns”