Chinese Hot Dog Flower Buns. Very similar to American Pigs in a Blanket; except these are covered in fresh Chinese chives, sesame seeds and a simple syrup glaze. Baked to perfection the bread is sweet and pulls freely from the cluster to make this a kid favorite finger food. We enjoy these fresh out of the oven before they have time to cool.
Chinese Hot Dog Flower Buns
- 8 hot dogs
- Chinese chives optional
- sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp bread flour
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp butter melted
Simple Syrup Glaze
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tbsp milk
Make the Tangzhong
- Cook on medium until it becomes thick. Then set it aside until ready for use.
Making the Dough
- Prepare the dough in a mixer: Mix yeast,lukewarm milk and sugar in a bowl; then let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add bread flour, salt, egg, and butter to the mixer. Mix and knead for about 1-2 minutes. Then add the tangzhong (from step 1) to the dough in the mixer. Knead for 5 minutes on low (speed 2).
- Shape the flour into a ball and place it into a lightly greased bowl. Cover with a towel for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.*
- Punch the dough and divide it into 8 equal parts. Shape each dough part into a rectangle shape 3”x 6”. Place 1 hot dog in the center of the dough. Fold the dough and closed the seam together. Roll it back and forth until the seam disappears.
- Cut the hot dog dough into 6 equal pieces. Arrange the pieces into a flower. Place the flower on a parchment paper. Put 1 piece in the center and 5 pieces around the center as petals, space them out a little. Repeat with the other hot dogs. Cover the flower hot dogs with a kitchen towel.
- Let them sit for another hour or until they double in size. *
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees.
- Prepare the flower hot dogs for the oven: Brush the egg wash over them. Then sprinklethe sesame seeds and chives on top.
- Place flower hot dogs in the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Pour the Simple Syrup Glaze over the fresh flower hot dogs when they are out of the oven.
Making the Simple Syrup Glaze
- Cook sugar and water on the cook top on medium until it thickens.